With your help, we are able to provide hope for those in crisis.
Our volunteers, donors, and partners play an essential role; learn how you can help today!
Time, money, or wish list item contributions are always welcome!
From the Executive Director’s Desk
2018 in Review
As this year comes to a close, I am tired, but it is a good kind of tired because Capitol Hill Group Ministry (CHGM) accomplished a LOT in 2018! I am so proud of our team, the work we did together, and the path we have charted for the year ahead.
In 2018, we:
- Articulated a set of CHGM core values to guide our work with each other, our clients, and our community and to support the organizational culture that we so highly value.
- Updated our mission and vision statements to better reflect who we are and the impact we want to have.
- Developed and began implementing an ambitious new strategic plan.
- Hired our first full time director of strategic initiatives to lead our development and communications work.
- Hosted our most profitable, best attended, and fun Sip and Savor yet.
- Kicked off our 50th anniversary celebration.
- Initiated a website redesign incorporating a new look and feel that is better aligned with our organizational values and personality.
- Pushed our city’s leaders to resource our homeless services, housing, and social safety net programs sufficiently, while celebrating the long overdue closure of the DC General Family Shelter in favor of several beautiful, modern, and more comfortable short term family housing facilities.
- Assisted thousands of individuals experiencing homelessness to meet their basic needs and supported hundreds of families in avoiding or transitioning out of homelessness.
Our smart, skilled, and dedicated staff and board of directors worked hard and so beautifully as a team this year in order to make all of this happen. I am enormously grateful for each of them. The support and encouragement we received from our many donors, volunteers, and community partners–like YOU–were essential to our success. Your energy, ideas, and compassion for the people we serve inspired us and allowed us to keep driving our work forward all year long. Thank you!
I am now eagerly looking forward to restorative time with my family, friends, and new puppy over the holidays. I can’t wait to come back with renewed energy for the work ahead and to share with you some exciting new things we have in store for 2019. Until then, I wish you a joyful holiday season!
Karen Cunningham, Executive Director